Wednesday 2 March 2022

Bill Haley and his Comets



Bill Haley and his Comets were the first Rock 'n' Roll band I was triggered by. The lads at school had been going on and on about this outfit, and I was excited to learn why. Roy Haslop pronounced the lead singer's name as though it were one word, ie billaley, which sort of added to the confusion. Hence I went into Star Records on the corner of Drayton Park and Holloway Road to listen to See You Later Alligator on a 78rpm record in one of the booths provided. I could not contain my excitement. I would soon be telling Steve Howe who was instantly mesmerised by this new music called Rock 'n' Roll. We were still at school, of course, but that didn't stop me acquiring a sax to play with my chums.

I was struck by Rudy Pompilli's instrumental Rudy's Rock which number would be my first public performance before an audience. Steve Howe was there at the front, transfixed by our lead guitarist, John "Yoss" Baker, who was joined by Ken Winchester on rhythm guitar and Barry Reid on vocals. I can't remember the bass player's or drummer's name, but they were red hot. The whole joint was jiving, and it marked my beginning as a saxophonist. The watercolour shows me playing Rudy's Rock.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Breezy